Our journey from cattle epicenter to cultural destination.
1871 The Kansas City Stockyards opens up on the Kansas side of the Missouri River.1878 The stockyards expand from 13 acres to 55 acres, adding loading docks on both the Kansas and Missouri Pacific tracks.
1923 During its heyday, the stockyards received 2,631,808 cattle. Holy cow.
1940s The stockyards flourish, with only Chicago’s Union Stock Yards surpassing them in size.
1948 Jay B. Dillingham becomes President of the Stockyards.
1974 The City of Kansas City and the American Royal build Kemper Arena on the former stockyards land.
1990 The Stockyards District is purchased by National Farms, where Bill Haw was CEO. Renovation of the Livestock Exchange building begins.
1991 The Kansas City Stockyards closes its doors.
1992 The Bull Mountain sculpture, by artist Robert Morris, is installed.
1995 Gateway 2000 purchases land from the current owner.
2001 Butler Manufacturing establishes its headquarters in the district.
2008 Genessee Royale opens its doors in the shell of an old filling station.
2012 The Telegram Building fills up with creative tenants, including Amigoni Winery, DMH Advertising and KEM Studio.
2013 The acclaimed restaurant Voltaire sets up shop in what was once the home of R Bar.
2015 The Stockyards Brewing Co starts renovations on the legendary Golden Ox space.
2016 Multiple eating and dining venues begin to pop up, including Lucky Boys, the West Bottoms Kitchen and the Stockyards Brewing Co.